The 'FIRE' movement and the trouble with penny pinching

The FT pouring cold water on the FIRE movement here (sorry). They do make some good points though..

Does anyone here actually practise FIRE or know someone who does?

HL have shared the story so you don’t need to worry about a paywall

1 Like

FIRE is compelling but not realistic for most. Unless you have a good salary when you are young and are willing to slum it out on someone else’s sofa, you are not realistically going to get to 70% savings of your salary.

Even if you do it right and can “retire” in your thirties, realistically how much is that going to give you per month if you have the prospect of living another 70 years, without any meaningful government pension either as you won’t be working.

I maximise my savings, maximise my tax efficiency, but also have the mantra that you have to live and enjoy life. Penny pinching becomes soul destroying if you’re not careful. Instead, I set myself large goals like paying off the mortgage, getting kids through uni, getting kids on the property ladder, a certain amount of income at my retirement, an early retirement; etc, and then budget accordingly.

3 Likes

FIRE is a bit like a cult and some of them are quite scary :sweat_smile:

It’s great to plan for the future but life is far too unpredictable for that, and the energy and effort it takes could be better used

She prefers to give the gift of spending time on shared experiences, arguing this is a far better way of sustaining a friendship than a scented candle

I love scented candles. And if I’m given them it stops me spending my money on them :grin:

2 Likes