Facebook leak contained phone numbers for 419 million users

This seems like a good topic to kick off some discussion about Facebook with :smiling_imp:

My opinion has been the data breaches are the new normal and we should just expect them from now on but a breach on this scale, with this type of information can’t be good can it?

1 Like

Based on the report this happened when Facebook allowed you to lookup friends via a mobile number.

With that in mind GDPR became law in the UK May 25, 2018. However this feature was removed in April 2018 (https://www.techradar.com/news/facebook-no-longer-lets-you-search-for-friends-by-phone-numbers) this means any fines or punishments will be pre-GDPR sadly.

I don’t believe GDPR made any retroactive claims around notifications of breaches. It sounds like the Facebook team were able to validate the data set very quickly and pin it back to when it happened.

3 Likes

I got off FB earlier this year and other than LinkedIn don’t use any social media, although I lurk on Reddit. Installed a VPN as well on all my devices. Seriously considering deleting FB altogether though.

3 Likes

It’s handy to sign into things though. Only reason I have it

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s not the best time to launch a dating service -

1 Like

Interesting first date ideas based off your profiles:

• You both know John, and attended his wedding last year
  • You have appeared in three group photos together
  • Your mobile numbers were exposed in the 2019 data leak
  • Both of you own dogs and post photos at least once a week
4 Likes

That’ll just mean you get perpetually matched with an ex

4 Likes

That is the LAST reason I would use them. The amount of data they get on you via social logins is beyond insane. It’s like giving the keys to your house to a stranger and saying: “go on, have a look around”

1 Like

It’s an empty account with no friends linked and a fake date of birth :grin:

3 Likes

That makes more sense. I also got a junk email account I use for logging onto a lot of websites, just never use social media logons as a matter of principle. :slight_smile:

1 Like